1.8K views

The company's thoroughly mismanaged.

In July 2008, I received a bill for a duty and brokerage fee of a package I received from France back in October 2007. Their customer service rep claimed that a company audit revealed that I owed $43.

The problem is that if it were true, they should have billed me at the time of the package delivery. Indeed, since the value of the goods delivered was the same as the amount they charged, I would have refused it right there and then as I had done with some previous packages.

Now, I have no choice but to pay the fee, otherwise they threaten to send a collection agency after me.

One cannot but wonder how honest this is, since TNT is in effect, ramming a purchase down my throat. How can I possibly return the package to the sender now and refuse to pay the duty and brokerage fee?

Review about: Tnt Express Delivery Service.

Had an Experience with Tnt Express?

Comments

docroberts1800

I just received an invoice from them about a package that arrived 4 months ago.

When it arrived, I was forced to pay over $120 in order to accept the package.That was ridiculous enough.

Now they are asking me to pay another 120 something dollars which is a complete outrage. The details explaining what the fees are for aren't even listed on the invoice. If I were to pay this fee as well, that would mean receiving a few shirts from Canada (to the U.S.) would cost almost $250 for just the shipping alone. This is a complete scam.

I'm not responsible for these ridiculous fees.

I did not tell the seller to use such a ***, unreasonable and outrageous company.Let's all report this to the BBB and every other relevant company/agency.

to docroberts1800 #599001

they just got me too, I had to return a coat that was supposed to be my xmas present,because they were asking hundreds of dollars, they said they would 'destroy it' i told them to return it to sender - then they added a new word 'abandon it' I bet someone is wearing it now

private companies should not being doing government jobs like brokering etc, it's like when they deregulated the market - and when they gave the wall street a holes some money they gave themselves raises

tnt has just merged with UPS who does exactly the kinds of scams that tnt does

according to wikipedia they already are in the better business bureau

they need to be shut down and uber audited - those 'customer fees are supposed to go to the government, but you know *** well it goes into their pockets

Thank you so much for pointing out that section in the terms and conditions.Totally saved me from paying them.

Especially since I received someone else's package in error!I wasn't going to pay duty for someone else's stuff!

Another TNT Express rip-off!I got a picture from China (a present).

The price of picture is $30. TNT didn't deliver the package to me but sent it using Canada Post, which required only a signature upon receipt.

A week later I received an invoice from TNT for $16.95 brokerage fee (for the $30 present????).Very smart trick - I cannot return the package since I got it!

"Know the facts" is absolutely correct.Why do you think the Customs dept exists?

Amongst other things, their main purpose is to collect import taxes.

Customs are not ***. Value misdeclarations happen with over 50 percent of all personal shipments. Customs will look at the courier's manifest and will decide for themselves whether the shipper has declared the correct and full value of the shipment.

If there is any suspicion of an under declaration - customs will cross reference their records for a more realistic invoice value.

Govt taxes are even levied against the actual freight costs as well.TNT, FedEx et al are merely the tax collectors working on behalf of the Govt.

to legal-bin Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada #607327

tnt aren't customs same as mall cops aren't the FBI

TNT is a huge rip off we had an account with them, we requested quotes with confirmation number over the phone by providing exact details such as weight , size delivery address, scheduled a pick up and weeks later they charges our account with a complete different amount.The whole Company is fraud.I was trying for month to solve the issue but with no result,I had wittnesses who weight and measure our mails at our local POSTNET service place, they dont care they still ripped us off tillewe stoped using their service.

DONT USE TNT big RIP OFF very unhonest company.We also found out for example we alway send TNT Hard envelope (docs) maybe it had 1 lbs we wrote the exact size on commercial invoice and envelope and TNT wrote us a bill later with example 5 lbs for an envelope CROOKS

I have also received multiple invoices from TNT months after delivery.

I am going to battle them tooth and nail, this is illegal activity. The place I ordered from charged exorbitant shipping fees which more than cover any costs to send items to canada.

to MPC Montreal, Quebec, Canada #599187

Hi There,

I know it's been a long time since u post here but noone is following up to what happens, after the numerous reminder letter and the threats to credit ur account and send lawyers etc....has this happened? did it stop finally? Did u pay it?

to Anonymous #842137

I received my item in May and in July I receive a paper invoice for duty fees.WTF!

Had I known I had to pay duty fees I would not accept the package.

How can a business run like this?? Requesting payment AFTER the goods have been delivered.

I don't understand why they don't request the money upfront before releasing the package??

Question for everybody - what did you do with the unpaid invoice?what happens if it goes to the collect agency?